Atom facts applicable to the creating of the Star Ways:
- Atoms are made up of three essential particles – protons (+ charge), neutrons (no charge), and electrons (- charge).
- These three particles orbit each other to create a nucleus, which lies at the centre of the atom.
- An atom’s nucleus usually has as many electrons as protons, and has as many neutrons as protons. Adding a proton makes a new kind of atom.
- Neutrons turn atoms into isotopes (a heavier version of the atom).
- Some isotopes are unstable and tend to decay into other elements, giving off subatomic particles or radiation; these are radioactive and are known as radioisotopes.
- Further facts (in simple scientific terms) can be found at: